10 January 2009

An Arm As A Lifeline 1/52

Human Arm As A Lifeline
Dialysis
Imagine depending on someone to place two 15g (gauge) needles into your arm that connect to 2 sets of blood lines...Run by a machine to keep you alive...IT IS your lifeline... 3x a week and 4 hrs at a time...The needles are one inch long and have a pretty hefty diameter... specially for something to be placed in the tender parts of your arm into a fistula...Which is a vein and an artery fused together by a surgeon...This particular patient is someone who agreed to let me take his picture...But also is one of the most brave patients we have...He takes his needles straight...No numbing shot first at 5:00 am in the morning...We do offer a shot of lidocaine which numbs the skin before we place these needles...Gauze is placed over the actual hole in case there is any leaking blood during treatment...Since the needle is pretty big it sometimes leaks...JJ




SCARS

I choose the human arm because it is one of the most underappreciated body parts. Think of how your lifestyle would be thrown for a loop if you did not have your arm.? I went through a period where I was pretty much useless with my right arm, I have what I like to call battle scars to prove it too. What I used to look at as horrible scars. Well now they are beauitful. PLus I am so thankful I have full use of my arm. So I wanted to catch it in a beauitful way. To show how simple and strong it looks. I hope that I did. I put some of the ones I did not choose to post here on my own blog. The way JJ choose to capture it is just another reason why I love that gal. She thought about lifesaving ways. My image was taken outside my front door, I added the necklace to give my pale arm some contrast. What will JJ choose to give us this week. Stay Tuned!!



~Bridgette~

3 comments:

Alaskangal B said...

I really like how you involed your patient and put the sincere medical spin on the arm. I did not even think of that. I can only imagine having to get that done. To know that without your arm you literally can not live. In their cases anyways. So I look forward to this next weeks too. I have a good poem to post with the idea you told me.

WUUUSSSSA

Luv
Wasibi

BitterSweet said...

That picute you took could be put up on the wall of a photography school for something students can strive to accomplish. It is really artistic and abstract making me feel like my picture is a little bland!...Even though the topic and the situation is in no way ridiculous. Good Job Wasabi! Love and Miss U! -Buttercup

Alaskangal B said...

No it is not bland at all!!